Here’s the short answer: A brick and mortar operation in Toronto ain’t cheap. Let’s say our average monthly gross in book sales is roughly two grand. Up to 60% of that goes to publishers (some items are donated), then there’s rent and related operational expenses. No salaries. No employees. Bare bones operation. Barely covering costs. A true labour of love. A strong vision and business plan to keep us in motion, to grow sustainably.
Fundraising is an ongoing essential component of our plan, each July & August the thrust of our new KFB Membership Drive. All membership funds will go directly into operations and development.
Other funding sources, (not currently available to us), insist you show your ongoing fundraising efforts/success.
Our simple ask/goal: 2000+ KFB Members worldwide at $10/CDN a year. In Toronto, that’s like saying, “Buy me a beer.”
Besides supporting KFB, “Canada’s All-Poetry Bookshop – a beacon for poets and poetry worldwide,” here’s what you’ll receive as a valued Member:
- A FREE DOWNLOAD of KIRBY’S NEW AUDIO BOOK, SHE’S HAVING A DORIS DAY
- The first 200 members who join will be entered into a raffle draw for a special initimate KFB night in the works.
But here’s what you really get:
- A continuation of our vibrant signature #KFBFRIDAYS Reading Series, described by poets as “one of the top must-read venues for poets from all over North America.” and “One of the coolest places in the city to read.”
- NEW! KFB GUEST CURATED SERIES Select poets curate the evening they would like to hear/read.
- NEW! KFB POETRY LAB Opportunities for poets to give/attend poetry workshops, classes, reading/writing groups, during shop hours.
- NEW! PUBLISHER’S SHOWCASE Small press/micropress publishers will have opportunity to set up their own display showcasing their catalogue and poets on specified days during shop hours.
There’s more, this is just the roll out.
Please consider any denomination: $11 – $100 $101 – $300 $301 – $550 $551 – $1000 $1001+
Please include email/contact info, and state whether you want your name listed, or to remain anonymous.
This is currently handled through PayPal. You can also become a member in person at the shop, and/or Interac eTransfer knifeforkbook [at] gmail [dot] com
We are also seeking Corporate Sponsor/s, (a Canadian sock company would fit in nicely with our ‘no shoes” policy). Contact Kirby directly at knifeforkbook [at] gmail [dot] com We look forward to singing your praises.
Thank you! See you at the shop. Kirby