Here’s the short answer: A brick and mortar operation in Toronto ain’t cheap. Let’s say our average monthly gross in book sales is roughly two grand. Up to 60% of that goes to publishers (some items are donated), then there’s rent and related operational expenses. No salaries. No employees. Bare bones operation. Barely covering costs. A true labour of love. A strong vision and business plan to keep us in motion, to grow sustainably.
Fundraising is an ongoing essential component of our plan. All membership funds go directly into operations and development.
Here’s what you really get:
- A continuation of our vibrant signature #KFBFRIDAYS Reading Series, described by poets as “one of the top must-read venues for poets from all over North America.” and “One of the coolest places in the city to read.”
- NEW! KFB GUEST CURATED SERIES Select poets curate the evening they would like to hear/read.
- NEW! KFB POETRY LAB Opportunities for poets to give/attend poetry workshops, classes, reading/writing groups, during shop hours.
- NEW! SATURDAY AFTERNOON POETRY READING SERIES
- NEW! PUBLISHER’S SHOWCASE Small press/micropress publishers will have opportunity to set up their own display showcasing their catalogue and poets on specified days during shop hours.
There’s more, this is just the roll out.
CLICK ON THIS FABULOUS STINTZI IMAGE TO BECOME A KFB MEMBER!
We are also seeking Corporate Sponsor/s, (a Canadian sock company would fit in nicely with our ‘no shoes” policy). Contact Kirby directly at knifeforkbook [at] gmail [dot] com We look forward to singing your praises.
Thank you! See you at the shop. Kirby